Must-Try Spring Beer & Food Pairing: Maibock & Grilled Asparagus and Spring Onions with Lemon Dressing
Spring is a time of excitement and transition! Winter is gone, summer is soon to arrive and the beautiful weather ushers us to find almost any excuse to be outside. It’s the perfect time to relax on the patio in the backyard with friends and enjoy a fine craft beer and some seasonal bites—but what to pick?
Nothing says spring beer like a Maibock. This German style lager, also known as Helles Bock, is traditionally brewed especially for the spring season, and in particular the month of May (hence the name, which translates to May-bock). Maibocks are golden-straw in color and are known for their crisp and refreshing finish.
Recommended glassware: The toasty malt flavors and peppery notes of noble hops found in this lager are best enjoyed out of a quality glass. The dishwasher-safe Birrateque Seasonal offers the perfect combination of form and function. Made with our proprietary SON.hyx for superior strength and clarity, the Birrateque Seasonal also includes the Foam Control System (FSC), which is specially designed to retain the foamy head of your beer. Like all Luigi Bormioli products made with SON.hyx, it carries a 25-Year Guarantee that guards against chipping on the rim, as well as discoloration or cloudiness resulting from washing. Modern styling crafted in conjunction with the distinguished Italian Centro Studi Assaggiatori creates a beautiful glass that is ideally shaped for serving Maibocks with their unique effervescence and hop-forward aromas.
The Vernal Equinox marks the start of the growing season and many traditional spring garden favorites. Fresh produce has us perusing our favorite publications for great recipes like this one. The combination of two spring arrivals—asparagus and spring onions—makes for a wonderful dish that celebrates the bounty of the season. An added bonus is the chance to fire up the grill. The fresh, green and citrusy flavors of the asparagus and spring onion pair beautifully with the crisp character of the Maibock.
Grilled Asparagus and Spring Onions with Lemon Dressing
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated Meyer lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 large bunches thick asparagus, trimmed
- 2 bunches spring onions, halved if large
- Prepare grill for medium-high.
- Whisk lemon zest, Meyer lemon zest, lemon juice, Meyer lemon juice, mustard and ¼ cup oil in a medium bowl to combine; season dressing with salt and pepper. (If you don’t have Meyer lemons, use regular lemons in their place.)
- Place asparagus and spring onions on a rimmed baking sheet and lightly drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Grill, turning once, until lightly charred and crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Serve drizzled with dressing.
There you have it! This gorgeous spring food and beer pairing makes a great treat on its own or rounded out with fresh goat cheese and crusty bread. Invite friends over for a celebration of the season—and be sure to “Prost” to spring!
At Luigi Bormioli, we take pride in our Italian-crafted, superior quality glassware. Your glasses, created using our proprietary SON.hyx ultra-clear formula, will retain their brilliant and transparent appearance and are backed by our 25-year guarantee that guards against chipping on the rim or foot, as well as discoloration or cloudiness resulting from washing. You will enjoy their beauty, durability and strength for many years to come. We aim to enhance your tabletop lifestyle and entertaining experience with a glass for every occasion. When the moment matters, the glass matters.